Re: Redisplay problems?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Redisplay problems?
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 16:50:55 +0200

> From: Stefan <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,
> address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 09:56:58 -0400

> >> Why wouldn't it?
> > Because we stop updating the matrices of iconified and invisible frames.
>
> That does not affect the validity of current matrices

Sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it does.  Look inside redisplay_window
at all the calls to clear_glyph_matrix, for example: all these will be
skipped while the frame is iconified; if they are, the current
matrices might be invalid by the time we get to using them, because we
should have cleared and recomputed them one or more times.

Anyway, I no longer understand the purpose of this discussion.  I
entered it because I wanted to try to help you understand what you and
Martin were unsure about.  If I succeeded in that, or if I fail to
help you, my job here is done.  If there are still specific situations
or issues that you'd like to understand better, and you think I can
help, please describe those situations/issues in detail, and I will
try to respond to that.

Otherwise, I don't see any point in exchanging single-sentence
arguments that are devoid of any context that I can recognize.  Are we
still talking about the overall way redisplay works, and how it uses
the "garbaged" flag?  Or are we talking about redisplay of a
deiconified frame?  Or maybe we are talking about how iconified frames
should be treated within redisplay?  Or something else entirely?  I
really cannot tell.  The details of each of these use cases are
different, so it is easy to go in circles if we are talking about more
than one situation at a time.