Re: <Multi_key> is undefined

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: <Multi_key> is undefined
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 10:17:06 +0100

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> After upgrading to Ubuntu 14.04 (and using Cinnamon), I can no longer
>> use <Multi_key>.  Emacs flashes at me and displays "<Multi_key> is
>> undefined".
>
> That means compose handling is broken on your system.

It's likely not just "my system" but in a month of time the most widely
deployed GNU/Linux system.

> One workaround is to remove ibus, so compose is properly handled again
> by the X server.
>
> Nothing Emacs can do about.

If this is nothing Emacs can do about, why is it working with
Gnome-terminal, Firefox, Gedit, the search box of Evince, even the GTK
file selector called from Emacs (when using the mouse in the File/Open
menu) and basically every other application on my system?

Can you name a single _other_ application rather than Emacs that should
have a non-working Multi_key if "compose handling [was] broken on my
system"?

If it is only Emacs showing that problem, shouldn't there be a
workaround even if you insist that Emacs is "correct" according to some
spec nobody else appears to be using?

--
David Kastrup