Re: .gitignore and .bzrignore files.

From: Nicolas Richard
Subject: Re: .gitignore and .bzrignore files.
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 10:24:00 +0100

"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> writes:
> Paul Eggert <address@hidden>:
>> Perhaps rather than delve into this too much, how about a different
>> idea.  Currently people are using both bzr and git to access Emacs
>> repositories, so they've tuned the .bzrignore and .gitignore files
>> to match what they want from the different repository backends.  So
>> why not leave these files alone?  When we switch from bzr+git to
>> just git, we can remove the .bzrignore file.  This would be simpler
>> than rewriting history, would be easier for everybody to understand,
>> and would be less likely to go wrong.
>
> Easy enough to do, but with one possible cost.  We might not get a happy
> resuly for revisions that have *only* .bzrignore files, that is before
> .gitignire files were added.

I have one question : what goes in those ignore filesĀ ? I've heard some
people want to ignore files created during compilation, while some other
don't because they compile off tree and want to know if files get added
in the tree.

Related to this, is the fact that bzr ignores some files automatically:
$ bzr ignore  --default-rules
*.a
*.o
*.py[co]
*.so
*.sw[nop]
*~
.#*
[#]*#
__pycache__
bzr-orphans

while git does not AFAIK (except those files/directories named '.git'.)

Should the .bzr->.git transition automatically add these to the
.gitignore file ?

--
Nico.