Re: _GL_UNUSED

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: _GL_UNUSED
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 18:22:38 -0700

Juanma Barranquero wrote:
It's OK to use _GL_UNUSED in the sources, or there's some preference
not to use it for some reason?

The typical practice is to configure with --enable-gcc-warnings. Turning on all GCC warnings can cause more trouble than it cures. Selectively silencing them with the likes of _GL_UNUSED can clutter the code particularly in the presence of ifdefs; I've tried to do that sort of thing only for warnings where the benefits are worth the costs.

Admittedly this is often a judgment call. If --enable-gcc-warnings isn't enabling a diagnostic that would be useful for Emacs development, then we can change it so that it does.