Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 18:39:18 +0200

> From: address@hidden (Phillip Lord)
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, <address@hidden>, <address@hidden>,
>         Jorgen Schaefer <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 10:19:30 +0000
>
> > What I found a bit discouraging is lack of responses to my patches.
> > Admittedly,
> > after re-reading etc/CONTRIBUTE I discovered I was sending them to the wrong
> > place (emacs-devel instead of bug-gnu-emacs) but still it would be nice if
> > someone yelled at me for using the wrong mailing list.
>
> Something like the gitorious merge request facilities would help here.
> Then you would be able to see that your request had gone in. Mailing
> lists are good for some things but maintaining a database is probably
> not one of them.

What we really need is to have in place an efficient and effective
procedures for patch review and application.  Without that, patches
will collect dust on gitorious as they will in the archives of this or
another mailing list.

So I think you are putting the carriage ahead of the horse.  We need
first to have "patch pilots" and maybe some support rules, and then
those people will pick up the tools they like best for doing their
job.  Having a database of patches that no one looks upon will lead us
nowhere.