Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116878: Sync with upstream vhdl mode v3.35.1

From: Reto Zimmermann
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116878: Sync with upstream vhdl mode v3.35.1
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 13:50:37 +0100

Quoting Glenn Morris <address@hidden>:

Stefan Monnier wrote:

 ;; function for expanding abbrevs and dabbrevs
-(defalias 'vhdl-expand-abbrev (make-hippie-expand-function
-                              '(try-expand-dabbrev
-                                try-expand-dabbrev-all-buffers
-                                vhdl-try-expand-abbrev)))
+(defun vhdl-expand-abbrev (arg))
+(fset 'vhdl-expand-abbrev (make-hippie-expand-function
+                          '(try-expand-dabbrev
+                            try-expand-dabbrev-all-buffers
+                            vhdl-try-expand-abbrev)))

Why??!?!

Yes, that made no sense to me either.
I meant to think about it before committing, then forgot.
My random guess would be compat with old Emacs versions.

This is how the code used to be prior to Emacs trunk r108403.
There's no ChangeLog information associated with that commit.
Knowing why it was changed that time would have helped.

In 2007 I changed my own copy of vhdl-mode to use defalias. In 2012 I synced some differences from the GNU distribution to my own copy, so it went back to defun/fset (because that's what it was in the repository). I didn't think much about it, so I don't think there was any other reason than just to be in sync with the GNU version.

There's other things that are probably still different in my own copy compared to the GNU version, that I did not sync because of compatibility reasons. I meanwhile dropped compatibility with XEmacs, but I still want to prevent any changes that are not compatible with older Emacs versions in the copy that I distribute on my site.

Reto