Re: Unibyte characters, strings, and buffers

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Unibyte characters, strings, and buffers
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2014 13:20:40 +0900

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > It would be madness IMO for Emacs to require legal paperwork from
 > everyone who at some point participated in some design discussion
 > here, which later got implemented,

Of course that would be madness.  What you're ignoring is that we're
talking not just about participation in design discussion, but *also*
implementation by a person who is intimately familiar with and
participated another implementation of the same feature with the same
design that is not assigned, and is highly unlikely to ever be
assigned.

In that case if there were enough similarity that the FSF were taken
to court and the case not dismissed immediately, the "it's just an
accident" argument would not fly in court because it would be easy to
show that I know a lot about the XEmacs implementation, and I
personally would undoubtedly be at best greatly inconvenienced by
being called to testify, at worst liable for damages (remember, in
that case the FSF assignment makes me liable for FSF's court costs and
damages, and that agreement doesn't contain mitigating circumstances
like "in good faith" or "invited by Eli Z").

No, thank you.