Re: Emacs pretest -- electric-pair-mode change

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs pretest -- electric-pair-mode change
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2014 18:58:11 -0400

> This last behaviour is also arguable but it is "way too clever", almost
> buggy. The trunk's behaviour is better: it always inhibits pairing, the
> surprising electric action, whenever there is unbalance, and as such is
> more predictable.

That makes sense.  But its calling (syntax-ppss (point-max)) will result
in large delays at times (since it will syntax-propertize any part of
the buffer not yet propertized).  Maybe it's OK because the rest of the
code already causes similar delays.
In many languages, strings can't span multiple lines, or they can only
do so if end-of-lines are somehow escaped.  Maybe we could use that to
try and reduce the scope of the test.

        Stefan