Re: Orphaning Eshell

From: Aidan Gauland
Subject: Re: Orphaning Eshell
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2014 20:38:18 +1200

On 05/04/14 03:59, Geoffrey Teale wrote:
> I use eshell every day.  I'd be sad to see it go unmaintained.   As yet
> I don't think I've ever had to look at the code, so I've no idea what
> the maintenance task would be like.  Is it a lot of work?

The only hairy bits for me were completion, control structures (loops
and if-then-else), and built-in variables.  Eshell uses pcomplete for
completion, which I would still like to puzzle out and document some
day, and is a bit cryptic.  Only for is documented, but Eshell appears
to implement while and if.  As for built-in variables, their
implementation wasn't obvious, and I never got far with tracking them down.

Regards,
Aidan Gauland