Re: A question about spellchecker

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: A question about spellchecker
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2014 18:11:13 +0300

> From: arthur miller <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 06:21:54 +0200
>
> Just a simple question: why is there no spellchecker by default included in
> Emacs?

If you mean as part of Emacs binary, then it's because we didn't see a
reason for that, and because doing that has the disadvantage of making
Emacs dependent on another project.

> Is there some special reason why it is not included in Emacs as a
> default fallback so that users don't have to spend hours in
> configuring diverse options?

Please describe the difficulties you had in configuring hunspell as
the speller.  It's hard to respond to such general statements.

> For me running hunspell as a separate process from Emacs is
> painfully slow compared to how some other applications work.

How slow is "painfully slow"?  Can you provide some numbers?  Can you
compare the speed of spell-checking an Emacs buffer with doing the
same using hunspell's own UI?