Re: Proposal: make up-list escape strings

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Proposal: make up-list escape strings
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2014 23:54:22 -0400

> I'm not sure which behavior is more useful. Your proposed behavior is a
> departure from what we have today, and one could make a case for either
> approach.  I haven't heard anyone complain about up-list crossing string
> boundaries.

Indeed, it's a problem, but crossing string boundaries makes the
behavior less deterministic.  I agree it can be useful, but I'm not
convinced it's worth the unpredictability: up-list can end up moving to
some very far away string, that's completely unrelated.  Currently noone
complains because when the cross-string jump is not useful, it's not
really worse than getting an error, but when the user intended to get
out of the current string, she'll be very disappointed.

        Stefan