Re: Wrong scroll bar in cygw32 build of emacs-24?

From: Ken Brown
Subject: Re: Wrong scroll bar in cygw32 build of emacs-24?
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2014 10:40:57 -0400

Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2014 22:20:58 -0400
From: Ken Brown <address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden

I don't have time to check this right now, but it's a pretty good bet
that this is a result of my recent change to use the (new) default
Cygwin manifest instead of the one provided by emacs:

Yes, that'd be my guess as well.

A little googling suggests that the difference might be due to the fact
that the emacs manifest mentions Common Controls version 6, but the one
provided by Cygwin doesn't.

If my guess is right, then this is a Cygwin/binutils issue rather than
an emacs issue.

Indeed, and that's exactly the disadvantage which I alluded to when
you suggested that change: you can no longer fix some problems visible
in Emacs by changes in Emacs itself, you now depend on Binutils
maintainers getting their act together, and fast.

I might have to rethink this. First, I'm going to make a bug report about the Cygwin/Binutils problem that started all this: The stripped executable is messed up when both manifests were used. I've looked back at the discussion when it was decided to add a default manifest on Cygwin, and the intention was that this would be ignored if the application provided its own manifest. For some reason that isn't working right in this case.

Ken