Re: smtpmail support of unicode passwords

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: smtpmail support of unicode passwords
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 18:55:29 +0200 (CEST)

[Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> (2014-04-14 15:36:23 UTC)]

> > Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 16:57:02 +0200 (CEST)
> > From: Harald Hanche-Olsen <address@hidden>
> >
> > It is with some trepidation I notice that RFC 4616 does not mention
> > normalization at all. Are "élan" and "élan" the same password or not?
> > Should the latter (NFD) be normalized to the former (NFC) or not? Or
> > the other way around?
>
> If someone can find out what is TRT here, Emacs can normalize if
> needed.

Poking around a little more in RFC4616, I see a reference to SASLprep
(RFC 4013) and StringPrep (RFC 3454). Apparently, the correct
normalization is NFKC; however, that is considered optional, and
reading between the lines a bit, I think this normalization, if done
at allo, is intended to happen in the server – just prior to computing
the hash.

If I have that right, TRT on the client side is to just pass the
string through unchanged. Which is a relief.

Apologies for not doing this small bit of research before raising the
issue.

– Harald