Re: Bootstrapping Emacs trunk repeats configure

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Bootstrapping Emacs trunk repeats configure
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 23:44:50 -0700

Angelo Graziosi wrote:
This 'configure' repetition didn't occur with the trunk of few days ago
(timestamps 2014-04-11 06:51:49) nor with pretest 24.3.90.

I'd expect the new behavior, not the old. 'make bootstrap' should redo everything from scratch, and that should include running 'configure', no? Though I don't know why this would have changed recently.

After a fresh checkout I suggest simply running 'make' unless you have special requirements (e.g., you're on a slow machine and need special 'configure' options). Although there should be no need to run 'make bootstrap' in a fresh checkout, it shouldn't hurt to avoid the double-configure in that case, so I installed a patch in trunk bzr 116988 to do that. This patch also tries to document the build-from-fresh-checkout procedure better.