Re: Tramp test suite and network access

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp test suite and network access
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 18:25:26 +0200

Daniel Colascione <address@hidden> writes:

> If a host isn't connected to the network, tests
> can hang for a long time with no user-visible explanation,

Default Tramp timeout is 60 seconds. We could shorten it for the tests
if desired.

OTOH, often I use fencepost.gnu.org as remote counterpart for the tests,
which is useful *because* I have a slow connection to that host. It's
useful to see how Tramp behaves on slow lines.

> and even if network connectivity is available, ssh to the local system
> isn't guaranteed to work, or work without asking for input.

Well, that's the default. But Tramp can run without ssh at all.

> (The tramp tests constantly ask me whether I want to connect.)

Tramp shouldn't ask you; it's the task of `tramp--test-enabled' to check
silently, whether the tests must be skipped.

What does it ask you? A password? It shouldn't. A passphrase? This we
might want to suppress. Something else?

Best regards, Michael.