Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r117000: Untabify cl-macs.el

From: Josh
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r117000: Untabify cl-macs.el
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 11:17:15 -0700

On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 12:13 AM, Daniel Colascione <address@hidden> wrote:
On 04/21/2014 12:10 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Why untabify at all?  Using tabs and spaces is the default GNU coding
> style, so why should we stray from that?

In Lisp code, using tabs makes no sense: code is frequently lined up
precisely, so you get a mixture of tabs and spaces anyway, making it
impossible to use a different tab-width.

+1, especially since we specify (tab-width . 8) in trunk/.dir-locals.el.

> (It's an uphill battle you'll lose anyway, because many people, yours
> truly included, have indent-tabs-mode set non-nil,

Don't do that then.

I've sometimes wondered why trunk/.dir-locals.el doesn't also specify
indent-tabs-mode, but I found the rationale in this thread[0] from
several years ago.  Still, it would be nice to find a way to avoid the
battle Eli mentioned so people could C-x h C-M-\ with less risk that
their personal indentation preferences would introduce gratuitous
whitespace changes.

[0] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-01/msg00058.html

Josh