RE: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r117002: Correctly treat progn contents as tople

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: RE: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r117002: Correctly treat progn contents as toplevel forms when byte compiling
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 09:50:56 +0900

Drew Adams writes:

 > Yes, anywhere and anywhen it's evaluated, including from a file at
 > any level.  And including when invoked from running code.  And
 > including `defmacro' forms that are generated and eval'd on the
 > fly.

The point is that the list of cases you have above is correct
*because* it does not include "when compiling".  The compiler does not
evaluate the forms it processes, with a very few exceptions.  AFAIK
the only forms in the compiled text that cause evaluation at compile
time are `eval-when' and friends.

 > But I do see now that you allowed for `progn' contexts, at least.
 > I guess you meant any context, like progn, which evaluates the
 > `defmacro' at load or compile time.

`progn' does not evaluate anything at compile time.