The new text-mode menu and the cursor in -nw mode

From: Mario Lang
Subject: The new text-mode menu and the cursor in -nw mode
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 14:21:46 +0200

Hi.

The new text mode menu is nice, something I have been waiting for since
a long time.  However, I have an accessibility issue with it: When I hit
F10 to go to the menu, the menu pops up and the selected item is
highlighted with a change of color, but the terminal cursor stays at the
place in the currently selected buffer.  I can see that this makes sense
for some use cases (you can still see where point is while navigating
the menu), but it is quite a problem to (some) blind users of Emacs.

Screen readers on UNIX usually do only track the hardware cursor
position, but they do not track background color changes.  So my screen
reader has currently no way to follow the currently selected menu item,
which makes the menu as such, rather useless because it is very
time-inefficient for me.

Similar to my recent request about allowing blink-matching-paren being
set to 'jump, and therefore getting the old hardware-cursor behaviour
back, I'd like to ask if there is a way to enhance the new text mode
menu with a user option to have the terminal cursor jump to the
currently selected menu item?

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕