Re: Trunk r117046 fails on systems with older automake

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Trunk r117046 fails on systems with older automake
Date: Mon, 05 May 2014 12:58:28 +0300

> Date: Mon, 05 May 2014 11:25:02 +0200
> From: martin rudalics <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
>  > Line 70 of
>  > configure.ac, and several dozen lines around it, didn't change since
>  > last August, so something else must have happened to cause this.
>
> I supposed so.
>
>  > AS_ECHO is defined by m4sh.m4, which is part of the MSYS Autoconf
>  > package you find on the ezwinports site.  Are you using that package?
>  > Do you have that file in share/autoconf/m4sugar/ in your MSYS
>  > installation?
>
> Yes.  As c:\Programme\MinGW\msys\1.0\share\autoconf\m4sugar\m4sh.m4

Then I don't know why you get this error.  "It works for me" (TM).
Some Googling suggests that this might be a result of the missing
pkg-config package (see below).  If that doesn't help, maybe some
Autoconf expert could help you out.

>  >> configure.ac:1351: error: possibly undefined macro: PKG_PROG_PKG_CONFIG
>  >> configure.ac:1354: error: possibly undefined macro: PKG_CHECK_MODULES
>  >> configure.ac:1363: error: possibly undefined macro: m4_default
>  >> configure.ac:2293: error: possibly undefined macro: PKG_CONFIG
>  >
>  > These are because of the missing pkg.m4 file, I think.
>
> And that's why I'm asking for advice in this thread.
>
>  > See my advice
>  > to Juanma earlier in this thread.
>
> Which advice?  Is there any way to work around this without installing
> pkg-config?

Maybe there is, but I don't recommend that: configure scripts rely on
that package more and more as the time passes.  If you didn't have
that package until now, it means you couldn't build Emacs with librsvg
and GnuTLS.

> According to http://www.mingw.org/wiki/FAQ this would mean I'd have
> to install the GTK-runtime first

That's a damn lie.  You need only Glib (and libintl+libiconv if you
don't already have them), in addition to pkg-config itself.

So, to summarize: install pkg-config and try again (starting with
running autogen.sh, I'd suggest, to countermand any problems you might
have caused by running without pkg-config).