Re: Trunk r117046 fails on systems with older automake

From: Andy Moreton
Subject: Re: Trunk r117046 fails on systems with older automake
Date: Thu, 08 May 2014 01:05:22 +0100

On Wed 07 May 2014, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> > It will happen on any system that doesn't have pkg-config installed.
>>
>> I was referring to the problem that Andy Moreton reported.  If
>> pkg-config isn't installed, autogen.sh should fail with this diagnostic:
>>
>> Your system seems to be missing the following tool(s):
>> pkg-config (missing)
>
> Yes, but I don't normally run autogen.sh, I run "make" (and tell other
> to do that as well).
>
>> Here the problem and fix is obvious, as Óscar Fuentes already mentioned
>> when he mentioned this diagnostic: he simply installed pkg-config.  In
>> contrast, Andy Moreton reported this diagnostic:
>>
>> Checking for pkg-config (need at least version 0.9.0)...
>> ok
>> Checking for pkg.m4...
>> Can't locate Automake/Getopt.pm in @INC
>>
>> This is less obvious, but the problem can't be due simply to pkg-config
>> being absent, as pkg-config ran successfully.  It must be something
>> else.

I already had pkg-config installed, and working for use of optional
packages (gnutls, libxml2, librsvg etc) in building for wmacs-24 and
trunk before the recent changes.

In my previous setup I was keeping tools supplied form the mingw project
separated from all tools from other projects to prevent inadvertantly
overwriting DLLs with incompatible versions. The aim was to do some of
the (non-existant) package manager's work, and ensure that the toolchain
setup is repeatable.

I've now moved pkg-config and pkg.m4 under the msys tree, which seems to
make things happier. All of the rest of the libraries not sourced from
the mingw project still live in a separate tree, and the configury seems
happy with that.

    AndyM