Re: Trunk r117046 fails on systems with older automake

From: Andy Moreton
Subject: Re: Trunk r117046 fails on systems with older automake
Date: Thu, 08 May 2014 01:25:46 +0100

On Wed 07 May 2014, Juanma Barranquero wrote:

> On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 5:32 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Does pkg-config run from the cmd prompt
>
> I don't have MinGW or MSYS in the PATH, so they don't run from CMD.
> Everything I run to build Emacs runs from the MSYS sh.exe with a path
> than includes MinGW\bin and MSYS\1.0\bin, and C:\devel\emacs\build\bin
> (which has many EZWinports tools).
>
> (mdo = "c:\bin\MinGW\msys\1.0\bin\sh.exe --login -i")
>
>   C:\> mdo pkg-config --version
>   0.28
>
>> or does it show a "DLL
>> missing" dialog or some other failure?  Do you see any pkg-config
>> related error messages in config.log?
>
> No to both.
>
>> Which m4.exe do you have installed, MSYS or MinGW?
>
> MSYS.
>
>> What version(s) of  them?
>
>   C:\> mdo m4 --version
>   m4 (GNU M4) 1.4.16
>
>> What do you get if you run "autoreconf -v -v --warnings=all -fi -I m4"
>> from the MSYS Bash promt -- do you get the same output as what I sent
>> (off list)?  Any errors/warnings that could hint at the problem?
>
> It fails with
>
>   configure.ac:70: error: possibly undefined macro: AS_ECHO
>       If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
>       See the Autoconf documentation.
>   configure.ac:1352: error: possibly undefined macro: PKG_PROG_PKG_CONFIG
>   configure.ac:1355: error: possibly undefined macro: PKG_CHECK_MODULES
>   configure.ac:1364: error: possibly undefined macro: m4_default
>   configure.ac:2294: error: possibly undefined macro: PKG_CONFIG
>   autoreconf-2.68: /mingw/bin/autoconf-2.68 failed with exit status: 1
>
>> FWIW, I don't use Autoconf 2.68, I use 2.65 on one machine and 2.69 on
>> another (the later with a newer Automake, I think).
>
> That hints at a problem, indeed. I seem to have two autoreconf
> installed: 2.65, from EZWinports, in my C:\devel\build\bin directory,
> and 2.68 in MinGW/bin.

My setup is similar to yours (separate tree for non MinGW/MSYS sourced tools).
I found that the following steps helped for me:
 - install msys-automake and msys-autoconf (in c:/MinGW/msys)
 - uninstall ezwinports automake and autoconf from devel tree
 - install pkg-config in c:/MinGW/msys/bin
 - install pkg.m4 in c:/MinGW/msys/share/aclocal
 - run "bzr clean-tree --detritus --ignored --unknown --force" to ensure
   a clean starting point. Run autogen, configure and make as normal.

HTH,

    AndyM