Re: Trunk r117046 fails on systems with older automake

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Trunk r117046 fails on systems with older automake
Date: Thu, 08 May 2014 05:54:18 +0300

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,
>     address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 08 May 2014 04:40:07 +0900
>
> Eli Zaretskii writes:
>  > > From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
>
>  > > No problem there, since I'm sure there are packaged pkg-configs.
>  >
>  > How do you mean "packaged"?  They are just *.zip archives (not that it
>  > isn't enough, IMO).
>
> I mean cd to the right place, unzip, and you're ready to run.

That's correct.

>  > >  > and making sure its pkg.m4 file is in the directory where aclocal
>  > >  > looks for such files.
>  > >
>  > > That's the kind of thing that shouldn't be necessary IMO.
>  >
>  > It cannot be avoided on Windows, because one needs to have 2
>  > Posix-like trees: one for MSYS and another one for native MinGW
>  > programs.
>
> So?  If you need two copies of pkg-config, install twice.

One copy of pkg-config is enough, and there's no MSYS pkg-config
binaries available (AFAIK) to become the 2nd copy.

> If you don't, there should be an explanation of how to install it
> and then copy/mv pkg.m4 so that the caller that needs it can find
> it.  It shouldn't be Andrew's or anybody else's problem to figure
> these things out (unless they have installed them already someplace
> other than where README.NT or whatever is appropriate suggests).

People should feel free to add to nt/INSTALL what they think is
necessary.  My understanding for now is that no one really knows why
things didn't work for them, and my setup, described in nt/INSTALL,
does work for me.