Re: [CEDET-devel] CEDET completion-at-point-function

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: Re: [CEDET-devel] CEDET completion-at-point-function
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 21:59:26 -0400

On 05/11/2014 02:24 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
I've taken a look at improving semantic.el's
completion-at-point-function, and I'm wondering:

Can we use lexical-binding in there (completion-at-point-functions was
designed assuming closures are not a problem), or would it be a problem
for compatibility reasons?

Hi,

As far as I know, semantic-ia-complete-symbol (which is assigned indirectly to completion-at-point-function) has no external dependencies other than frequently being bound to a key. For your reference, the entirety of "semantic/ia.el" was originally setup to be examples on how to use some of semantic's features to create different kinds of useful commands. If this section can be updated as an improved example, I'm all for it.

Of course, semantic-ia-complete-symbol calls into other parts of the system for calculating completions, and I am not familiar enough with the lexical-binding topic to know if they would be negatively affected or not. Is there a brief reference I could read about the topic?

Thanks
Eric