Re: trunk r116426: * lisp/jit-lock.el (jit-lock-mode): Keep it disabled

From: Vitalie Spinu
Subject: Re: trunk r116426: * lisp/jit-lock.el (jit-lock-mode): Keep it disabled in indirect buffers.
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 21:51:29 -0700

 >>> Stefan Monnier on Mon, 07 Apr 2014 16:40:19 -0400 wrote:

 >> I don't know anything about fontification techniques, so I don't even
 >> know if the question makes sense, but isn't there a way to get
 >> fontification (even if slower than jit-lock-mode) in the indirect
 >> buffer, and keep the base buffer jit-locked?

 SM> Everything is possible, yes.  But I just recommend you don't go there,
 SM> it's a waste of time.

Waste of time or not, it has been done: https://github.com/vitoshka/polymode

Indirect buffers constitute the core of mode switching but are not
crucial for the rest of the package. I intentionally abstracted it from
all other stuff. If emacs ever comes with something smarter than
indirect-buffers I would be happy to adapt the mode switching mechanism.

I have been using it for more than an year in an unfinished state for
markdown and noweb and the experience was pretty delightful. Indirect
buffers are very fast and one-mode-per-indirect-buffer strategy makes
the whole system pretty robust.

Only recently I found time to finish the design, but then discovered
that jit-lock was removed. I am piggybacking on jit-lock and its removal
is a real bad luck. The last thing I need right now is to re-implement
jit-lock in indirect buffers.

Would it be possible to add a binary switch so that people can activate
jit-lock if they really need it?

Thanks,

   Vitalie