Re: some feedback on package.el changes

From: Sebastian Wiesner
Subject: Re: some feedback on package.el changes
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 12:56:30 +0200

I love these changes to package.el, they're great.

But I am annoyed at the way they've been done. It breaks the existing
API all over the place and this is a minor release.

You may be interested in EPL [1], which provides a convenient API around package.el and is compatible with all package.el versions from Emacs 23 up to Emacs 24.4.  It is the result of porting Cask to the new package.el interface in Emacs 24.4.

It is part of Cask since about half a year now, basically since the package.el changes hit Emacs trunk, and is mostly covered by ERT tests, so it is fairly stable.

The documentation is currently only in the docstrings and the commentary.  If there is interest, though, I can compile a proper manual, and include it in the EPL package, for reading in Emacs Info reader.

[1]: https://github.com/cask/epl/