Re: epa problem has returned

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: epa problem has returned
Date: Sun, 25 May 2014 12:01:03 -0400

    When it hangs, can you attach GDB and show where is it looping?  I
    don't understand how come accept-process-output could hang when it is
    called with a timeout of 1 sec.

I am running all the time under GDB.
I stopped it with a signal during that hang
and it was hung in `read', called from `emacs_read', called
from `read_process_output', called from `wait_running_process_output'.
I put a breakpoint on the line in `emacs_read' that calls read,
and it gets called over and over.  `read' returns 0.

Another time it was in pselect called from xg_select called from
wait_running_process_output.

I tried stepping and saw that it went around the big loop
in wait_running_process_output (starting at line 4333)
and did not exit it.

I don't know where and how it is supposed to exit,
so I could not tell why it was wrong.

I can't recall, and can't find, the GDB command to direct
GDB output to a file.

    Is the process object with which accept-process-output is called alive
    at the time of the hang?

Yes.  The process status is `run'.

--
Dr Richard Stallman