Re: sources and scripts for generated files

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: sources and scripts for generated files
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 18:23:31 +0900

Andreas Röhler writes:

 > assume you are kidding.

No, he's not.  GPL "sources" are defined as the preferred form for
editing if you wish to make changes to the software.  If the .h file
is as easy to edit as the other, it might be the preferred form for
local changes (or at least acceptable).  On the other hand, it's
converted by an automatic process *and* the script that does so is
part of Emacs (AIUI).  So there's a strong presumption that the file
from ICU is the source.

 > If not kidding, I'm still wondering, resp. asking: please make the
 > GPL a text every Emacs core developer may understand without
 > undergoing expensive law-studies.

That cannot be done; the GPL's primary purpose is to protect various
interests in the covered Work, and readability to non-lawyers takes a
back seat to that.

But this part is not hard to understand.

(1) You must provide sources that are reasonably convenient to edit.
(2) Which do you think is more editable?  Ship it.