Re: Not a regression, but shuld go into emacs-24

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Not a regression, but shuld go into emacs-24
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2014 20:02:23 +0200

> Only for a jump scroll.  When dragging or scrolling by page, PORTION
> passed to x_send_scroll_bar_event is zero, as is WHOLE.

IIUC in XmCR_DRAG we set PORTION to 'cs->value', in xg_scroll_callback
we set PORTION to 'position' and in xaw_scroll_callback we explicitly
pass 'position' as PORTION argument.  So in all three cases we pass a
position.  And IIUC we pass zero for PORTION and WHOLE iff when we end
scrolling (when the user releases the slider).

> For jump scroll, PORTION is the position of the scroll bar thumb that we jump
to.

I didn't look into jump scroll so far.  But what you say here indicates
that jump scroll also passes a position via the PORTION argument.

> The values of PORTION in x_send_scroll_bar_event and
> x_set_toolkit_scroll_bar_thumb are different.  The first has values as
> defined by the scroll bar.  For Gtk+, Motif and Xaw this is a value
> between 0 or 1 and 10000000.

Yes (in my experience Gtk+ can handle WHOLE directly as is).

> The values to x_set_toolkit_scroll_bar_thumb are in characters,
> i.e. show PORTION characters for the buffer, starting at character
> POSITION.  The buffer has a total of WHOLE characters.

But the values passed to x_send_scroll_bar_event are in characters too
(and the value of WHOLE is supposed to be the same as when setting the
thumb).  Or am I missing something?

martin