Re: Latest EMACS on BZR trunk does not compile with MinGW

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Latest EMACS on BZR trunk does not compile with MinGW
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2014 00:14:21 +0300

> From: Vincent Belaïche <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 22:00:02 +0200
>
> Here is what I get:
>
> dup2.c:35:0: warning: "WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN" redefined [enabled by default]
> c:/Programme/GNU/installation/emacs-install/emacs/trunk/nt/inc/ms-w32.h:148:0:
>  note: this is the location of the previous definition
> dup2.c:38:26: fatal error: msvc-inval.h: No such file or directory
> compilation terminated.

lib/dup2.c isn't supposed to be compiled in the MinGW build.  My
config.log says:

  configure:23230: checking whether dup2 works
  configure:23307: result: yes

Please look at yours to find out why it thought dup2 didn't work, and
tried to build a gnulib "replacement".

> msvc-inval.h, given its naming, is probably a file from the MS Visual C
> compiler suite

No, it's a gnulib file which is not imported from gnulib, because
dup2.c shouldn't be compiled on Windows.

> Maybe the
>
>  `&& ! defined __CYGWIN__'
>
> wherever used in this file for this topic should be replaced by
>
> `&& defined _MSC_VER'
>
> or something like that --- I cannot remember exactly the #definition
> that one can use to detect MSVC compiler.
>
> An alternative would be to use
>
> `&& ! defined __CYGWIN__ && ! defined __MINGW32__'
>
> but well, if the msvc_xxx.h file are MSVC specific, I would prefer the
> other one.

We don't want lib/dup2.c on Windows, the one that comes with the usual
runtime is good enough.