Re: Latest EMACS on BZR trunk does not compile with MinGW

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Latest EMACS on BZR trunk does not compile with MinGW
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2014 18:09:49 +0300

> From: Vincent Belaïche <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 11:03:57 +0200
> Cc: emacs-devel <address@hidden>
>
> After adding a
>
> source /etc/profile
>
> line at the top of my ~/.bash_profile, everything went ok.

Again, this is not TRT.  You should invoke the shell with the --login
switch, then it will behave as you expect.

> Anyway, shouldn't it be delegated to autotools to do that job of detecting
> the environement and whether the user is a naughty boy/girl that did not
> sourced his/her /etc/profile...

Please take a look at configure.ac: we do delegate this to autotools,
but in this specific case we need to know we are on a MinGW system
very early in the script, so that we read a MinGW-specific file that
makes sure some autoconf tests produce results we want.

IOW, the issue is to use the general scripts with as little
MinGW-specific stuff as possible.

> In the EMACS source code you would then just use some
>
> #ifdef HAVE_WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN
> #endif
>
> Where HAVE_WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN would be from the config.h file generated by
> autotools.
>
> That would be wiser as other programs than EMACS could have the same case, so
> it is not worth re-inventing the wheel every time.

We already do all that.  Again, please look at configure.ac and see
how the MSYSTEM variable's value is used.  It is not used to set
HAVE_* macros.  We are not inventing the wheel.