Re: Emacs hung, have attached debugger

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs hung, have attached debugger
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2014 09:33:59 +0200

Geoff Shannon <address@hidden> writes:

> So I've got a hung emacs that I have attached to in a debugger.  I opened a
> new emacs to use report-emacs-bug; following the instructions I was going
> to include the output of 'bt full'.  Except that it's about 17500 lines
> long...
>
> I took a look at the backtrace as well, and of the 3800 calls on the
> list, ~3700 of them are from either mark_object or mark_vectorlike.

There will be likely a lot of repetition here as this sounds like an
infinite recursion.  Just the end and the start of the traceback (enough
to recognize the pattern in the middle) should be enough.  The traceback
will likely be because of stack overflow.

You can use ulimit (see its man page) to limit the available stack space
in advance: that should allow you to get a backtrace that is reasonably
short even without manual intervention.  Just be sure that it's not
bombing out because of a regular operation.

> I submitted a report to debbugs with the interesting portions of the
> backtrace output.

Sounds good.

--
David Kastrup