Re: (un)expand-region-abbrevs

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: (un)expand-region-abbrevs
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2014 16:45:02 +0200

   >> שלום -->     שָלֹם
   >>
   >> So sometimes I want to delete the niqqud.

   > You can delete the niqqud characters by hand, you know.

I am not sure what you mean by hand, deleting individually?

Or something like this.
;; incomplete!

(defun my-anti-niqqud ()
  (interactive)
  (query-replace-regexp "ֿ\\|ֱ\\|ֲ\\|ֳ\\|״\\|ְ\\|ּ\\|
ֻ\\|ֹ\\|ֶ\\|ֵ\\|ִ\\|ַ\\|ָ\\|ׂ\\|ׁ\\|ׇ\\|ׄ\\|ׅ" ""))

   > (I actually wonder why you need the abbrevs at all.  Why not just use
   > an input method that allows to type the niqqud characters at will.)

This you can ask for any abbrev: "why don't  you type it at will?"

I think in both cases the answer should be: "Because I am lazy"

   >> One might argue that I would be better off to write a short trans-tab
   >> which replaces the niqqud by "nothing", but I got curious whether I
   >> could use an inverse abbrev function.

   > You can always _add_ those reverse abbrevs, right?

You mean another table which is the inverse table?

Maybe the query-replace-regexp is the easiest solution, although I am
not sure about performance and we can forget the issue.