Re: (un)expand-region-abbrevs

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: (un)expand-region-abbrevs
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2014 18:33:46 +0200

   > Abbrevs are about less typing.  How does typing "שלום" instead of
   > "שָלֹם" "abbreviate" anything, when it's more typing?

I presume I have not explained this well enough.
I have a minor mode, say ivrit-niqqud, with a associated abbrev-table.
So typing

   שלום -->     שָלֹם

This means typing less gives more.

I save the text, close emacs etc and then visit the file again. Now I decide
I want to delete the niqqud of some text (which I mark). If I had an
inverse-expand-region function I could use it now, but I also could use
the small function I posted in an earlier message. The closest thing I
know of would be good old iso-deaccentuate in of pre mule days.[1]

   >> You mean another table which is the inverse table?

   > No, I meant have them in the same table.
I don't understand

 שלום -->     שָלֹם
and also
 שָלֹם --> שלום

That looks impossible to me. I thought abbrev should be function, in the
sense that one value is mapped to one but not more values.

Footnotes:
[1]  which still works and makes sense in Xemacs due to a different
implementation of Mule, I presume.