Re: emacs: are multi-char parentheses possible?

From: Leo Liu
Subject: Re: emacs: are multi-char parentheses possible?
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 08:14:37 +0800

On 2014-06-09 11:38 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Maybe you tried a "forward up-list" where the closing ">>" hadn't yet been
> syntax-propertized?
>
> This technique has some downsides, but in the case of << ... >> it might
> work well enough.

Thanks for the confirmation. With the syntax-table property the normal
sexp motion commands actually work. But I was in a smie mode which
redefines forward-sexp and the lexer and grammar aren't setup to handle
<< and >> so it appeared forward-sexp failed. I was looking in the wrong
direction for fix.

> For things like "begin...end" it's more annoying (e.g. backward word
> will stop right between the "b" and the "egin" and forward-word will
> stop right between "en" and "d").  For those, SMIE might be a better
> option (which uses hooks in show-paren and forward-sexp to try and make
> them do The Right Thing, tho the up-list case is only 90% working).

I like this feature ;)

Leo