Re: Finding packages to enable by default

From: Teemu Likonen
Subject: Re: Finding packages to enable by default
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 11:25:10 +0300

Stefan Monnier [2014-06-19 11:26:40 -04:00] wrote:

>> | flyspell-mode                                    |      41 |
>
> I'd be happy to enable this by default, but we currently don't have a
> `global-flyspell-mode', so we need someone to write one for us. Such a
> global mode should be careful to only enable flyspell where it "makes
> sense". E.g. I think that by default in prog-mode buffers, only
> strings and comments should be flyspell'd.

Please, no. I think flyspell is too intrusive to be enabled by default.
People can easily write a couple of hooks to turn it on where it makes
sense to _them_. I never use flyspell-mode. I wrote wcheck-mode[1]
because I wanted faster and more configurable checker. Ispell-based
checkers are not enough. But I wouldn't suggest that wcheck-mode should
be enabled by default.

1. https://github.com/tlikonen/wcheck-mode