Re: Finding packages to enable by default

From: Teemu Likonen
Subject: Re: Finding packages to enable by default
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 22:49:52 +0300

Eli Zaretskii [2014-06-20 21:34:01 +03:00] wrote:

> If there are so many of them, where are all those users? why didn't
> anyone submit changes to ispell.el to support those languages and
> spell-checkers? Why didn't you, for that matter?

I thought that flyspell-mode was too slow and had problems with
back-ends with decent Finnish support (Enchant and now obsolete
tmispell-voikko). I switched to speck-mode[1] for a while. It was better
but still too slow in some situations and didn't work with Enchant. It,
too, was tied to ispell interface. I began to think that more generic
approach is better. So I wrote wcheck-mode[2] which has very different
configuration concepts, and it's fast.

You asked where are all those users and why they haven't contributed to
ispell.el. I can only speak for myself. I think that, with very
different spell-checker concepts, it's easier to write a new checker
From scratch. That's kind of contribution too. I got what I wanted: fast
on-the-fly checker which works with anything and is very configurable.
Maybe some of those "other people" are using wcheck-mode too so their
itch have been scratched and they don't need to care about ispell.el.

But even if flyspell was replaced with my wcheck-mode (which I'm not
suggesting) I wouldn't enable it by default. The reason is the same: too
intrusive, so much unknown variables outside the scope of Emacs.

 1. http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SpeckMode
 2. https://github.com/tlikonen/wcheck-mode