Re: Finding packages to enable by default

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Finding packages to enable by default
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 21:28:08 -0400

>> If there are so many of them, where are all those users? why didn't
>> anyone submit changes to ispell.el to support those languages and
>> spell-checkers? Why didn't you, for that matter?

> I thought that flyspell-mode was too slow and had problems with
> back-ends with decent Finnish support (Enchant and now obsolete
> tmispell-voikko). I switched to speck-mode[1] for a while. It was better
> but still too slow in some situations and didn't work with Enchant. It,
> too, was tied to ispell interface. I began to think that more generic
> approach is better. So I wrote wcheck-mode[2] which has very different
> configuration concepts, and it's fast.

I just had a look at wcheck-mode and it looks very interesting.
Would you be interesting in contributing the code (we could at
a minimum include it in GNU ELPA, tho I think it might be worthwhile in
Emacs itself).

I see it is "display and timer driven".  The "display driven" part is
interesting since it saves you from having to "touch" text before it
gets syntax-checked.  And the "timer driven" part makes it less
intrusive performance-wise.  Also it operates on larger chunks of text
at a time, which is more efficient.

I have a question: why does it use window-scroll-functions and such
hooks instead of using jit-lock?  [ I've been meaning to try and
implement a new spell-checking package using jit-lock, but it seems
to keep getting lower on the todo list.  ]

One downside for the user is that ispell.el's M-TAB might not work as
well since by the time wcheck's timer runs to discover your typo, the
user might "too far".

        Stefan