Feature Request: Per-package custom save files?

From: T. V. Raman
Subject: Feature Request: Per-package custom save files?
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2014 08:42:53 -0700

As a long-term emacs user, I switched to custom about 11 years
ago.

I let custom save its settings to a .customize-emacs -- rather
than let it add to my .emacs so I can continue to edit my .emacs
by hand.

This means that I've let custom manage .customize-emacs -- that
is nice; however looking at it now, I see that that file has
become huge.  What's more  -- there are a lot of saved settings
in there that are likely now obsolete/irrelevant -- also some
settings that needed to be set explicitly in early versions of
packages is now achieved by not doing anything since the defaults
do the right thing. Finally,  custom ends up loading
customizations for *every* package you've ever seen -- including
ones that you use at present, ones that you autoload and ones
that you dont have around any more.

So feature request:

Could we arrange for customize to save package specific settings
in a package-specific customizations file?  The present one
custom file that binds them all feels like the Windows Registry:-)