Re: Finding packages to enable by default

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Finding packages to enable by default
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 02:09:32 +0300

>>> If we can come up with good keybindings, then we can indeed enable it
>>> by default.
>>
>>`C-x C-left' switches to the previous buffer, so similarly
>>`C-x M-left' could switch to the previous window configuration.
>>
>>Also in browser's UI `M-left' switches to the previous page
>>(roughly corresponding to the window configuration).
>
> When point is on a window with buffer that cannot be edited, many
> modes such like dired make `q' close the window.  The winner-dwim does
> similar regardless where the point is.  Thus I propose `C-x q' or
> `C-q' although they are taken.

I suppose you mean using `C-x q' to quit window, and `C-u C-x q'
to "un-quit", but with bindings to `winner-undo' and `winner-redo'.
In bug#13167 we considered binding `C-x q' to `quit-window' itself
because `winner-undo' is quite different from `quit-window' that
doesn't not necessarily restore the previous window configuration,
so `winner-undo' and `quit-window' require different key bindings.