Re: Dumper problems and a possible solutions

From: Rich Felker
Subject: Re: Dumper problems and a possible solutions
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 17:15:19 -0400

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 04:24:47PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > Thanks for the feedback. Can you elaborate on how/why the hash
> > changes, and where it's stored that would need to be updated?
>
> When placing an object in a hash-table, the hashing function often just
> uses the address as "the hash value".  So any hash-table that uses such
> a hash-function will need to be rehashed after relocation.

I see. Is this hashing all at the C level, or is it happening in lisp
code? Can the lisp code even see the address value for lisp objects?
If it's purely at the C level I doubt it would be hard to re-do the
hashes but I obviously haven't read the relevant code.

> > As far as the relocation, my impression is that it would just need to
> > be able to identify pointers in lisp objects (this is already possible
> > since the GC needs to do it, right?), and rewrite them to
> > (essentially) "static_lisp_heap + offset_of_pointed_to_object" when
> > writing the dump out as a C array.
>
> Yes, the GC already knows how to find the references that are inside
> Lisp objects, but there can also be references coming from global
> variables (for sure) or non-Lisp data-structures or maybe from the stack
> (not sure about those last two).

How does the GC avoid freeing objects that have these kinds of