Re: Why not zlib-compress-region?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Why not zlib-compress-region?
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 21:51:46 +0900

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > Isn't it true that lately most Posix systems, including GNU/Linux, are
 > by default packaged without a development environment?

Yes, but GNU/Linux package managers (among other free software package
managers) generally include development dependencies in their
databases, so anybody who is not in a high-security situation (where
management has a short list of libraries you can use) can fairly
easily acquire the necessary dependencies, usually without going
through DLL hell (still building your own everything, right, Eli?)

You occasionally run into annoying CADT bigotry (such as the common
omission of the bitmap-dev package from X11 dev environments), but
at least our C dev environments are generally fairly interoperable
(unlike Windows where there are three mutually mostly incompatible
GCCs).

There are minor annoyances, but not so much as to deter people who
aren't afraid to type "./configure; make; make install".  I've given
up more times than I can count (temporarily of course, when I've got a
wekk of evenings free I get back to it) on putting together Windows
dev environments, though.