Re: Dynamic loading progress

From: Aurélien Aptel
Subject: Re: Dynamic loading progress
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 17:14:19 +0200

I've focused on the docstring part these last few days.

Dave's patch was using Emacs' make-docfile utility to generate a .doc
file (from a .c file) per module which was loaded along the module by
calling its own version of snarf_documentation that skipped some
checks.

I've tried to do the same thing but there are several problems which I
suspect where already there in Dave's patch.

The doc member of a subr struct is not a pointer to the doc string but
an offset in the build global doc file (Vfile_doc_name aka etc/DOC).
This saves memory but since we now have multiple doc files it doesn't
work. If you update Vfile_doc_name to the module's doc file,
Fdocumentation will only work on this module's functions.

We could:
- switch back to storing the doc string in memory for modules
- make an alist or something to map a function name to a doc file
- <your alternative solution>