Re: warn-maybe-out-of-memory

From: Dmitry Antipov
Subject: Re: warn-maybe-out-of-memory
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 08:42:23 +0400

On 07/10/2014 10:47 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

I wonder if this function should only warn when it is called from
commands invoked by the user, as opposed to from a Lisp program.  The
warning is in find-file-noselect, which AFAIK is widely used in Lisp
programs, where displaying this warning might be inappropriate.

Hm, find-file-noselect also may ask for confirmation to open large file.
If this is undesirable, shouldn't we move all user interaction to top-level
find-file?

In addition, the function assumes that visiting a file of size N bytes
needs N bytes of memory, which is false: we need more, sometimes much
more.

No.  This function assumes that visiting a file of size N bytes needs
at least N bytes of memory, and warns if we have even less than N.

Also, is this call to emacs_abort really appropriate?  Or is it some
remnant from debugging this code?

     if (sysinfo (&si))

Here emacs_abort may be called only if &SI points outside of a process'
address space.  This is possible only if C stack is smashed and so you
have no way to continue anyway.

Dmitry