Re: Please don't obsolete "crisp.el"

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: Please don't obsolete "crisp.el"
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 09:47:52 -0500

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> Luke Lee wrote:
>
>> what is the correct process to move crisp.el to ELPA?
>
> I don't think this has happened before, so nobody really knows. :)

I'm in the process of moving ada-mode to Gnu ELPA. Currently ada-mode
4.1 is in trunk, and 5.1.4 is in Gnu ELPA. At some point, I plan to mark
ada-mode 4.1 obsolete, then later delete it.

>> a) about Emacs trunk: Should I keep the crisp.el in obsolete/,
>> or just move it into ELPA?
>> b) about ELPA, should I copy the crisp.el from Emacs/obsolete/,
>> or just install a new one?
>> c) Aside from crisp.el itself, what other files should I change for
>> both Emacs and ELPA?
>
> My guess:
> In Emacs trunk, just remove crisp.el with a ChangeLog note something
> like "move to GNU ELPA". Change etc/NEWS: add a new section after
> "Obsolete packages" for "Packages moved to GNU ELPA" and move crisp.el
> from obsolete to there.

I think it is more friendly to users to provide both versions for a
transition period, and in particular the automatic warning from
`make-obsolete' is helpful.

> As to getting it into GNU ELPA; yes install the version that was in
> Emacs trunk (remove the "Obsolete-Since" header and add any needed
> package headers). Do that before making any code changes.

ada-mode 5 is a complete rewrite, so I skipped this for ada-mode.

--
-- Stephe