Re: poll_for_input_1 undefined

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: poll_for_input_1 undefined
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2014 08:58:41 -0700

I think Richard's problem this time was caused not by clock skew, but because 'bzr up' significantly changed the build procedure, and then 'cd src; make -k' did not propagate those changes properly.

I took a shot at fixing this and installed the fix as trunk bzr 117526. This fixes only the src subdirectory; I expect lib-src, lisp, and nt need similar fixes, but one step at a time.

It is a pain that this build-procedure stuff needs to be semi-copied around from one makefile to another. One possibility to avoid this pain, if someone has the time, would be to switch Emacs to a non-recursive 'make' style [1], which we've already done in other GNU projects (e.g., coreutils) to good effect. Another possibility would be to use Automake.

[1] Miller P. Recursive make considered harmful. AUUGN 1998 Feb;19(1):14-25. http://aegis.sourceforge.net/auug97.pdf