Re: Updating idlwave in Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Updating idlwave in Emacs
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 11:36:42 -0400

>> I am also somewhat daunted by the need to backport changes from the
>> Emacs core version of idlwave which have accumulated over the past 6
>> or so years.

Right, the problem is not so much the changes as the accumulation.
The sooner the two forks are re-merged the better.

After that, the easier way to "sync" things up is to only have one
development branch.  Having one in Emacs and one on github is asking
for trouble.

You can use the Emacs code as the main place for development, by
the way (this is up to you, but I generally recommend it).

> Although it's the more difficult job, maybe that's the place to start -
> make the definitive, merged version, then figure out where it will live?

Yes, the more we wait, the harder it gets to sync them back.

        Stefan