Re: python.el changes in emacs-24

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: python.el changes in emacs-24
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 11:49:01 -0400

    The main difference in philosophy is that the Open Software Movement
    indeed believes that Free Software was lacking the right buzzphrase for
    selling the Four Software Freedoms.

That was true in the case of Bruce Perens, who described "open source"
as a "marketing campaign for free software".  However, the other
founders of "open source" didn't care about freedom and regarded this
as an opportunity to dump ethics and justice entirely.

See http://gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html.

    The Free Software movement is not focused on providing the catchiest
    rallying cry.  That's what the Open Source Movement considers important.

Actually, we do look for catchy rallying cries provided the cause
they rally people to is our cause.  I've tried many of them over
the years.

What we avoid doing is weakening the cause in order to "gain support".

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation