Raw string literals in Emacs lisp.

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Raw string literals in Emacs lisp.
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 10:19:08 +0900

Matthew Plant writes:

 > What if we assume that any string surrounded immediately by
 > parenthesis is a raw string literal?

Please don't.  SXEmacs and XEmacs have had rawstring literals for many
years using the syntax #r"...".  It may not be the best way to do
this, but it's (Common) Lisp-y, the prefix notation is familiar from
at least one popular non-Lisp language (Python), and it's about as
short a notation as you can imagine (I don't recall why #"..." was
out, though).

Use of parens for this purpose is likely to have wide-ranging
implications, as it means that they no longer have unambiguous
semantics, but require lookahead to interpret.