Re: About horizontal scroll bar

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: Re: About horizontal scroll bar
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 22:03:29 +0200

Il 28/07/2014 19:26, martin rudalics ha scritto:
 > I notice that when I start Emacs (rev. 117589, MSYS2/MinGW64 build),
the buffer which is active (that on which I worked in the previous
session) does not display the horizontal scroll bar (HSB).

 > Switching to another buffer, this DISPLAYS the HSB. Switching back to
the first buffer, now it DISPLAYS the HSB..

 > Is this to be expected?

This might be a result from switching from a non-horizontal scrollbar
build to a horizontal scrollbar build.  If this problem persists, that

Hmm... I don't understand.. As I have explained [1], my builds are done from scratch in a clean tree, so I think I am not switching from a "non-horizontal scrollbar build to a horizontal scrollbar build".

For example, with rev. 117599 (MSYS2/MinGW64 build) and with only this file in %APPDAT%/.emacs.d,

$ cat %APPDAT%/.emacs.d/init.el
;; Instead to save in ~/.emacs.desktop
(setq desktop-base-file-name "~/.emacs.d/desktop")

;; Instead to save in ~/.emacs.desktop.lock
(setq desktop-base-lock-name "~/.emacs.d/desktop.lock")

;; Save desktop
(desktop-save-mode t)

the following occurs.

Start Emacs with the link created by addpm (i.e. pointing to runemacs). The frame shows the scratch buffer and both scrolling bars (HSB and VSB) are visible.

Now visit a file, for example init.el itself: C-x C-f .../init.el

Now close Emacs (click on the 'X' icon on the top-right angle). Emacs asks to save desktop. YES

Now restart Emacs with the same link. Emacs opens showing init.el file but with only the vertical scroll bar (VSB).

Now switch to previous buffer with mouse-1: the scratch buffer is visible with both the HSB and VSB.

Now switch to the next buffer with mouse-3. init.el is visible with both scrolling bar.

So, only when one starts Emacs, the buffer active (that on which the user was working in the previous session before it is closed) does not show the HSB. Just switch to another buffer and also the first acquires the HSB.

If it is a bug I will report it to bug list.

Ciao,
 Angelo.

---
[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2014-07/msg00369.html