Re: eww as a package?

From: Wolfgang Jenkner
Subject: Re: eww as a package?
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 13:48:49 +0200

On Mon, Jul 28 2014, Rüdiger Sonderfeld wrote:

> The problem is that `eww' or rather `shr' relies on the C function `add-face-
> text-property' which is only available in 24.4/trunk.  It is therefore not
> possible to package it for older versions.

I think Lars wrote this only for performance reasons as primitive (see
the thread starting with [1]).

Otherwise, the visual effect is the same as with

(defun add-face-text-property (start end face &optional append object)
  (funcall (if append
               #'font-lock-append-text-property
             #'font-lock-prepend-text-property)
           start end 'face face object))

The functions called here seem to exist since

1995-10-26  Simon Marshall  <address@hidden>

        * font-lock.el: General reorganization.
        [...]
        (font-lock-fillin-text-property, font-lock-prepend-text-property,
        font-lock-append-text-property): New text property functions.

[1] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/153114

Wolfgang